SoFoBoMo: progress report
It was great to be out shooting a little with the GX100 this weekend. I’m realizing this camera is a lot of fun, and it is a good exercise to be using it to produce the photos for the book. I’m really starting to come to grips with the metering and handling of the camera, and finding that, overall, I’m quite pleased with the image quality. I still think the AF is too slow.
Besides getting a few more possible images for the book (you can follow along with the some of the candidates here), I spent a little time working on the book layout in Scribus today. The app crashed on me early on during a cut and paste, and I lost about 20 minutes of work, but after that I was careful to save early and often, and haven’t had it crash since. So far I mostly like how it works. It reminds me of some other desktop publishing I’ve done in Adobe Pagemaker and Microsoft Publisher: it’s somewhere between them in complexity. I got stuck a couple times, but Google’s your friend, and I figured my way through eventually. For those that are interested, there are some nice, basic Scribus video tutorials here.
I got pretty far with a decent layout that’s ready for images. I even stuck a couple in just to get a feel for the look. Personally, I’d like to follow through with actually getting a hard copy of the book, and not only just generating a PDF, so I’d be interested in anyone’s ideas for where to get a 8.5 x 8.5 photo book published from a PDF. I’m aware of Lulu, but I’ve also heard bad things about their B&W reproductions, and tricky PDF requirements. Of course, they may have improved since I last looked into it, which was a couple of years ago.
Overall: good weekend, good progress, good feeling.